The Movies - Part 2

Friday, June 10, 2011

We arrived in Brockton 15 minutes before our scheduled 12 Noon call time.  The bright yellow movie directional sign assured us we were in the correct location.

We pulled into the parking lot and a security guard directed us to a space.

We gathered our belongings, followed the signage,

and proceeded to a large white tent set up in the ghetto gorgeous town of Brockton.   

I was excited!  There was a nice breeze, friendly faces, and an incredible buffet of breakfast and lunch foods set up for our taking. 

Bagels, lox, hot dogs, hamburgers, munchies...

fresh fruit and juice squeezers,

hot scrambled eggs and much more from

(That's my father-in-law with lox, grits, and a sweet 80's tie.) 

My excitement quickly dissipated.  The temperature began to rise, the air conditioning broke, and the tent filled up with pathetic professional extras.  Then the waiting began.  Two sweaty hours later, I changed into my awesome 1980's garb (and pantyhose), and made my way through the hair and make-up stations.

 (4 hair stylists and 3 make-up professionals = long waiting time.  And it was in the mid 90's.  Can you say shvitz?)

I'm slightly embarrassed, but here's the final product:

I dig the look of the bun, but am not convinced it's a particularly 80's style.

(At this point, one of the professional extras ran over to me and said, "Hey I worked with you a few weeks ago!  You were a cop, right?"  I should have played along.  Maybe then I could have used the SAG-only restrooms.)

Dressed and camera-ready, we boarded air-conditioned buses (one of the highlights of the day) and made our way to a synagogue in Brockton.  I did not hear the announcement that pictures were forbidden in the temple, but after I took this one, I was immediately reprimanded and told that I could be thrown off set and my camera would be confiscated if I used my phone or camera again.

(Apologies, no more pictures.)

We were ushered into rows, the men were handed yarmulkes and tallit (prayer shawls), and we watched the young Adam Sandler character practice a few prayers at his "Bar Mitzvah."  Listening to a non-Jewish 14-year old boy speak in Hebrew sounds a little like my 7-month old baby having a conversation with himself.  Goo goo ga ga.

And then...Adam Sandler walked in, said hi, gave the boy some tips, and cracked a few jokes.  He looked like, well, himself, but a tad heavier than I expected.  Adam hung out all day, nonchalantly walking through the crowd, and smiling at all of the star effers like myself.  I wanted to approach him and say, "hey Adam, my great Uncle Mel was BFF with your dad" but I decided since nobody else was talking to him, and since I was there to work, I should abandon my pathetic tendencies and just act cool.  I regret it.  (Plus, I'm so not cool.)

It was definitely neat to watch how the scene was filmed, note the incredible number of cameras and crew members, and get a sneak peek at the editing process.  But, I'm pretty sure only the top of my head will be on the big screen and I'm still shocked at the amount of time and money spent on a 30 second movie clip. 

After more sweating and more waiting, we boarded the bus once again, and returned to the tent.  It was now 5:30pm and my courtroom scene was yet to be taped.  I removed my pantyhose, changed back into my street clothing, and darted out of the tent and to the car as quickly as possible. 

Good experience?  Yes.  But, I think I'll keep my day mom job.


Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by 2009

Back to TOP